Find Help with Probate Law in Galesburg IL and the Surrounding Areas
Before contending with probate law, you must first understand what probate means. Probate is the process of proving a will after one’s death. In the absence of a will, probate is the legal division of the deceased’s estate, as mandated by the court. Probate can be a short or long process, depending on the size of an estate. However, one thing is sure when dealing with probate law in Galesburg IL; you’ll want a legal representative on your side. Thus, you ought to call Blake Law Office for the assistance you need.
As a family-oriented business with lawyers across all generations, Blake Law Center takes an especially careful approach to probate law. Last wills and estate planning can help the probate process go more smoothly, but in the absence of both, we only wish to provide your family the support and assistance they need in such trying times. And whether you live in Galesburg, Monmouth, Peoria, Macomb or the surrounding areas, our team is knowledgeable of all laws regarding probate throughout Illinois.
What is the Probate Process?
There’s plenty that goes into probate and not only the division of assets. And as probate law professionals, it’s our job to ensure every need is met for both the family and the court.
- Proof of Death – An attorney will acquire the death certificate to prove that the deceased individual is dead. Once this is determined, an attorney can commence with the remainder of probate.
- Assessment of Will – If the deceased had a will, it is looked over by our attorneys to confirm its legitimacy and is then passed on to a judge.
- Control of Estate – The attorney (or executor) will then gain control over the estate to divide it as stated by the will appropriately.
- Assets, Liabilities & Debt – We will then assess the value of the deceased’s estate to determine the share each beneficiary will receive. However, this includes the assessment of liabilities and debt, which are resolved by the estate.
- Taxes & Expenses – Any direct taxes or expenses of the deceased are handled by the executor and paid through the estate. Additionally, this includes filing for any upcoming taxes in the name of the deceased.
- The Final Division – Lastly, the executor will notify beneficiaries of their inclusion in the will and will prepare to distribute all assets to them. It should be noted that the estate is made up of all assets after creditors, liabilities and taxes are paid from the said estate.
Do You Need More Legal Help?
Although Blake Law Office is well versed in probate law for Galesburg IL, we cover other related legal matters. As an experienced law firm, we’ve come to assist residents with our other practice areas, such as:
Talk with Our Attorneys
Probate law for Galesburg IL doesn’t have to be a challenge when you have the right legal team helping you out. Give the professionals at Blake Law Office a call today! You can contact us today at 309-343-3155 for a consultation. Also, we are located at 56 N. Prairie St., Galesburg, IL 61401.